Queer Families
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mixing up the Variables

4 posters

Go down

Mixing up the Variables Empty Mixing up the Variables

Post by potooo Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:16 am

Okay, so our second try will probably be around July 3rd. I'd be very grateful for advice or guidance from anyone who's conceived at home using frozen ICI. Things to consider changing from our last time:

• Timing. We got a positive OPK at about 8:00 in the morning when my wife woke up and did our first ICI about 12 hours later, figuring that since most people's LH surge (and also ovulation) tends to happen about 3:00 am, that was probably around when the peak surge happened, so we estimated that we were inseminating about 17 hours after the surge, and then again 24 hours after that. Do you think we should have waited longer to do the first insemination? Was that 3:00 am assumption not well founded? I know that ovulation can happen anywhere from 12 to 36 hours after the surge, but how the heck are we supposed to know precisely when it happens?

• Defrosting. I took the vial out and let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes, checking it every minute or two past the 10 minute mark until it had liquified. I know that clinics use special vial heaters that heat the whole thing up to body temperature fairly quickly, and I've heard of some people putting the vials in their bra or underwear or under their armpit to simulate that. I don't wear a bra or underwear, heh, but I could do the armpit thing. But does that risk uneven heating? Should I keep doing the room temperature thing instead?

• Method. I poured the vial into an Instead cup, drew it up into an oral medicine syringe, put some Preseed around the rim of the cup, plus an applicator's worth of Preseed inside my wife, who was lying with her butt on a pillow, then inserted the syringe, had her guide it to the farthest comfortable point it could go, then I pressed the plunger, removed the syringe, had her insert the Instead cup, and she put her legs up in the air against the wall for a few minutes, and then we made whoopie. Does that sound about right? Should I have mixed more Preseed in with the contents of the vial so that there was more actual liquid in the Instead cup? There was a bit of liquid remaining in the very tip of the syringe after I pushed the plunger. Should I have taken it out, drawn up more Preseed into it, reinserted it, and then pushed the plunger a second time?

Any thoughts or ideas? I know it's only got a small chance of working per try, but I want to do everything I can to make it possible.
potooo
potooo

Back to top Go down

Mixing up the Variables Empty Re: Mixing up the Variables

Post by cadence Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:29 am

Just replying quickly before little dude cracks the shits that I haven't started feeding him, but some quick thoughts-

I think it's always better to inseminate a little early, because the sperm can wait for the egg, but the egg won't wait for the sperm. So what you did is right, in my opinion.

I wouldn't bother getting the last of the sperm from the syringe as that's more likely to disturb what's you've already inserted rather than help.

Good luck! Not long to wait now Smile
cadence
cadence
Admin

http://acrookedframe.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by potooo Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:29 am

Both of those line up with my instincts as well, but it's good to get external confirmation. Thanks for the good wishes!
potooo
potooo

Back to top Go down

Post by queermamavt Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:24 pm

I want so bad to be of more help. I think your timing sounds great. Cadence is right the sperm will hang around for the egg. I know nothing about defrosting frozen sperm.

As for the method, we chose not to do any of the extra stuff. We did not use preseed or the Instead cup. I did prop my hips up after the second insemination (we did two in one day). My wife was really weirded out by the sperm, which is kind of to be expected since it was her brothers stuff, so we did not have sex after. We also were never home alone during either insemination. I instead masturbated and then keep my hips propped up for about 20 minutes each time.
queermamavt
queermamavt

Back to top Go down

Post by Cec Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:13 pm

queermamavt wrote: My wife was really weirded out by the sperm, which is kind of to be expected since it was her brothers stuff

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. It was SO hard not to gag or make a fuss about handling my brothers sperm. It's hard to have a touching moment of insemination in that situation. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Cec on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cec
Cec
Admin

http://bigkidparent.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cadence Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:03 pm

Cec wrote:It's hard to have a touching moment of insamination in that situation. Rolling Eyes

Sweet insamination LOL.
cadence
cadence
Admin

http://acrookedframe.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by queermamavt Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:59 pm

Cec wrote:I'm glad I wasn't the only one. It was SO hard not to gag or make a fuss about handling my brothers sperm. It's hard to have a touching moment of insemination in that situation. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, it was not a very sweet moment at all. I was not as bothered by it as she was though. I was more bothered by having people in my house while I was being inseminated, seeing as I was masturbating after. I had to masturbate in my brother-in-laws bed; I don't remember that ending well for me. Neutral
queermamavt
queermamavt

Back to top Go down

Post by potooo Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:46 am

Heh. Fortunately my brothers are too old (52 and 50), live too far away (Missoula and Seattle), and my wife is an only child. I'd definitely be skeeved out by the whole idea. I think I might be a little jealous, too. Like, I wanna raise my own kid, not my brother's kid, y'know? But I know other people feel really differently about that, which is totally valid.
potooo
potooo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum